A delicious salad with the sweet, floral and slight earthy taste of cooked beets, the freshness of cucumber and the salty and tangy taste of feta. Combined with the aromatic mint leaves and fresh lemon dressing this salad is perfect for summer. The contrasting red and green of beetroot and cucumber makes for a very nice looking salad. Great to make for a potluck, this one is always a favorite at a summer barbeque.
How to Make Cucumber and Beetroot Salad
With only a few components this is a simple salad to prepare. Peel, cook and cube the beetroot. Cut cucumber wedges. Crumble feta cheese. Chop the mint leave. Make the lemon vinaigrette. Add the beet, cucumber, feta and mint leaves to a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with the lemon salad dressing. Toss.
How to Cook Beets and Cut into Cubes
Cooking and Peeling a Beet
You can eat the skin of a cooked beet, but we peel this vegetable for use in the salad. You can peel the beet before cooking with a vegetable peeler, but it is so easy to just rub the skin off a cooked beetroot with a paper towel while it is still warm.
- Wash the beets well before cooking.
- Place the beets in a pot cold water, make sure it is completely submerged, bring to the boil.
- Bring the temperature down to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Strain the beets and let them cool down, remove the skin by rubbing with a paper towel. plastic cutting board.
Tip – Beetroot stains surfaces and cutting boards, I usually work on news paper and cut the beets by placing wax paper on my plastic cutting board.
Cutting a Beet
- Place the cooked beet root side down on the cutting board and cut into slices of about 1/2 inch (1cm)
- Cut the Beet into slices about 1/2 cm thick (0.2 inches).
- Cut the slices into wedges (quarters)
Cutting the Cucumber
See our guide to cutting a cucumber different ways.
- Cut the Cucumber into slices about 1/3 cm thick (0.1 inches).
- Cut the slices into wedges (quarters)
Some Favorites in Our Kitchen on Amazon
Making a Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
This easy Lemon vinaigrette is made by mixing the ingredients below well by shaking in a jar, just make sure the lids seals well and shake.
- extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice
- parsley dry
- oregano dry
- salt & pepper
Variations in this Beetroot and Cucumber Salad
Pickled Beets – roasted beets can be substituted by pickled beets, the briny taste ads another taste to the salad and if you already have some pickled beets it makes preparation of this salad very quick.
Cheese – change the cheese, using gorgonzola or goat cheese are good alternatives to feta, if you like a bit more punch, a stronger blue cheese is a good option in the cucumber salad.
Cucumbers – we use English cucumbers, they are slender, smooth and almost seedless, but other varieties of cucumbers would also work fine.
Beetroot and Cucumber Salad
- 250 grams beetroot (2 medium sized beets)
- 220 grams cucumber (1 medium sized fruit)
- 60 grams feta cheese (crumbled) 2 oz
- 8 grams mint leaves 1/3 cup
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil (2 tbsp)
- 15 ml lemon juice (about ½ medium sized lemon squeezed)
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp dry organum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dressing – Mix the lemon vinaigrette, ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well.
- Put beetroots in pot with cold water, bring to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes, drain, cool down.
- Remove beetroot skin by rubbing of skin from warm beetroots with paper towel
- Cut the Beet into slices about 1/2 cm thick (0.2 inches) and cut the slices into wedges (quarters)
- Cut the Cucumber into slices about 1/3 cm thick (0.1 inches) and cut the slices into wedges (quarters)
- Add the beet, cucumber, feta and mint leaves to a large salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with the lemon salad dressing. Toss.
With only 3% carbs this is a very low carbohydrate salad that would fit well in many diets.
What did you think of our Beetroot and Cucumber Salad ?
Did you like this recipe? Please let us know, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
This sounds like an awesome Salas for an easy Christmas meal. Easy to make.
Looks as beautiful as it tastes, if you are doing a Christmas barbeque, make this one!