This avocado couscous salad recipe is a healthy and delicious salad that is easy to prepare and works well as a light main or a great side dish with any meal. An easy to prepare and flexible couscous salad with a lemon and olive oil vinaigrette recipe. Avo and feta is just a winner combination. Couscous is quick to prepare and this recipe is a favorite in our house with a barbeque. A simple throw together salad, change it up with your favorite herbs and veggies!
How to Make this Avocado Couscous Salad
Our couscous avocado salad recipe is a easy to prepare salad, simply add all the ingredients to a large salad bowl, splash with the salad dressing and toss. The lemon vinaigrette is quick and easy to make, plain olive olive oil or a ready made salad vinaigrette also works well.
First cook your nice and fluffy couscous. Next the simple lemon vinaigrette is made by mixing the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake. Prepare the salad by mixing all the salad ingredients; couscous, tomatoes, avocado, feta cheese, cucumber, parsley, basil and sprinkle with the lemon vinaigrette. If you want a vegetarian couscous option (no cheese) see our Simple Vegan Couscous Salad.
Favorites Tools in Our Kitchen from Amazon
Cooking (rehydrate) Couscous
- Add 150g couscous to a sauce pan with an equal volume of boiled water(150 ml), place lid on. (add some chopped parsley for flavor)
- Let stand for 5-10 mins the couscous must become soft.
- Fluff couscous with a fork, splash with some olive oil, and season with salt and pepper..
- couscous is now ready to serve or use.
Increase the flavor by adding a cube of vegetable stock to water used for preparing couscous. You can also add a nutty flavor to the couscous by toasting dry couscous in a pan before rehydrating. Be careful not to burn while toasting.
Cutting the Avocado
- For this salad we prefer to cut the avocado into cubes, this is how to easily cube an avocado.
- Slice the avocado down the length until you feel the knife hit the pit, spin it and continue to cut it in half, separate the halves and remove the pit.
- Cut the flesh inside the skin of each half into squares.
- Scoop the avocado squares out of the skin with a spoon.
How to make a Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
You make any vinaigrette by mixing something acidic such as vinegar or lime juice with oil. Prepare this easy lemon vinaigrette by mixing ingredients in a jar with a tight sealing lid and shake well.
- extra virgin olive oil (3 tbsp)
- lemon juice (1 tbsp)
- parsley dry
- oregano dry
- salt & pepper
Vegan Couscous Salad Ingredients
This simple throw together salad is very easy to change, use the ingredients that you love; ad or remove what you want.
Couscous – it is not a grain, it is little balls of pasta. Couscous is small granules of steamed, rolled durum wheat (semolina). Since couscous is made from wheat it is not gluten free. It great alternative to use for rice and is quick to prepare.
Avocado – this superfood is nutrient dense and delicious! Different varieties are available and they all work great.
Feta – Feta is a Greek brined curd white cheese made from sheep’s milk or a mix of sheep and goat’s milk. It is a good source of nutrients like calcium and protein, but has an high content of salt and saturated fat.
Tomato – ripe tomatoes work best, any variety is good.
Cucumber – present in most salads they bring a fresh and crispiness to this couscous salad, see our post showing how to cut a cucumber.
Herbs – we love fresh parsley and basil in any salad, chop up the parsley, only break up large basil leaves.
Couscous Avocado Salad
- 150 gram couscous
- 300 gram cherry tomatoes (2 cups)
- 200 gram avocado (x2 medium fruits)
- 200 gram cucumber (x1 medium fruit)
- 100 gram feta (crumbled) 3/4 cup
- 10 gram fresh parsley chopped (3 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (45ml)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (15ml)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (15ml)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 3/4 tsp oregano dry
- 3/4 tsp parsley dry
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Prepare the Couscous – Put couscous in sauce pan (150g) add equal volume of boiled water(150 ml), put the lid on. Leave for 5-10 mins until the couscous is soft. Fluff the couscous up with a fork, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper if you like.
- Lemon Vinaigrette – Add all the vinaigrette ingredients to a jar with a lid that seals well, shake well and sprinkle over the salad.
- Make the Salad – Add all the ingredients to a large salad bowl, splash with the salad dressing and toss.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17.4g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 4.9g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26.1g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||15%|
|Total Sugars 2.8g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The nutrition facts provided in the recipe were calculated with an online nutritional calculator and are approximates.
What did you think of our Couscous Avocado Salad ?
Did you like this recipe? Please let us know, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!