This low carb keto broccoli salad recipe is quick to prepare and easy to follow. A delicious crunchy dish based on my mom’s recipe. We don’t add any sugar or sweetener, the bacon, feta and cheddar is an amazing savory salad combination. This broccoli salad is however easy to sweeten to taste with a few drops of artificial sweetener, if you want a low carb sweet/savory combination. We often make this as a stand alone dish for a quick Saturday lunch, but have taken our keto broccoli salad as a potluck dish to many events, it is always very popular and there is never anything left to take home!
How to Make this keto friendly broccoli salad
A very easy recipe made by quickly boiling broccoli and mixing it with yoghurt, feta, cream, cheddar cheese, onion, bacon and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). A simple, quick low carb, keto broccoli salad recipe that tastes amazing.
For a beautiful, delicious keto friendly recipe that is quick to prepare, try our Smoked Salmon Avocado Salad with soft eggs and a homemade lemon dressing is a light, low carb, high protein side dish.
Want something super low carb and low calories, fresh and great for a barbeque? Check out our Keto Cucumber Salad, based on a German cucumber salad (Gurkensalat).
Variations in this keto broccoli salad
- Want to sweeten it a bit? Add 2 to 4 tsp of sugar to the dressing according to taste or stay keto friendly by using about 5 to10 drops of stevia sweetdrops or other artificial sweetener (2 to 4 tsp sugar sweetness equivalent)
- Do you like a bit of tang? Add some mayonnaise, replace the Greek yoghurt with mayonnaise or go half mayonnaise and half Greek yoghurt.
Is this broccoli salad healthy and keto friendly?
Broccoli is a keto superfood, with only 4 grams of carbs per cup and is very high in fiber and protein.
Plain Greek yogurt is a healthy, high protein ingredient with low enough carb content that it is keto friendly in moderate amounts.
Bacon definitely does not fit in all diets, but since bacon is naturally low in carbs and high in fat it’s a highly popular choice for the keto lifestyle. Bacon does contain a mix of ‘good’ and bad fats, it is however a cured meat and should only be eaten in moderation.
Feta cheese is high in fat and protein and low in carbs so it is keto friendly. A 1-ounce serving of feta cheese has 1.2 grams of carbs, 4 grams of protein and 6 grams of fat.
Heavy cream is ultra low in carbs and thus fits in the keto diet.
Cheddar cheese contains relatively few calories from carbs, about 5%, to limit carbs use a mature cheddar with a stronger taste giving your salad more flavor with a smaller amount of cheese.
Mayonnaise can also be added and is a very popular ingredient in the keto diet being high in fat and very low in carbs and protein. Some cheaper store bought mayo brands are sweetened, but are usually low enough in carbs that they qualify for the keto diet.
What is the keto diet?
The ketogenic diet is a low carbohydrate high fat diet and it shares similarities with low carb diets such as the Atkins and Paleo diet. By replacing carbohydrates as an energy source with fats your body turns to a metabolic state called ketosis to generate energy.
Low Carb, Keto Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Feta
- 4 cups broccoli florets,1 medium to large sized broccoli head (12 oz/350g)
- 180 grams cooked chopped bacon (7oz/about 8 slices)
- 150 grams 1 chopped onion
- 280 grams Greek yoghurt (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (70 g)
- 1/2 cup mature cheddar cheese cubed (60g)
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds (28g)
- Cut broccoli florets (the tips) of the stem, place in rapidly boiling water for about 1.5 minutes, drain the florets and place in cold water to stop cooking.
- Fry the chopped bacon and onion together, make sure the bacon is well done.
- In a bowl make the dressing by stirring together the following dressing ingredients; Greek yoghurt, heavy cream, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and whisk together.
- Put the broccoli in a large bowl, add all ingredients; bacon, onion, crumbled feta cheese, mature cheddar cheese cubes and cover in the mixed dressing ingredients.
- Toss the ingredients until the broccoli is well coated.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving. The salad is more crispy and better fresh.
From the nutritional information you can see most calories in this salad comes from fat and very few from carbohydrates. This salad will this fit very well in the ketogenic or other low carb diet.
Nutritional data was calculated with an online tool and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using your preferred nutrition calculator.
What did you think of our Keto Broccoli salad?
Did you like this recipe? Please let us know, if you tried it rate the recipe, our rating and any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!