Tropical mango, fresh crunchy cucumber, a little bit of chili spiciness, splashed with a lime and olive oil dressing combines in this delicious summer salad. A great sweet and sour combination, spice it up with some chopped up chili, easy to adjust according to taste. Don’t be boring, try this unusual combination, spice up your summer barbeque, we loved this one!
How to Make this Mango Cucumber Salad
Wash the cucumber, cut into slices and cut the slices into quarters. Cut the cheeks of the mangos and slice into mango cubes. Chop the red onion, bell pepper and the dried chili. Make the lime vinaigrette dressing by mixing the lime juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt in a jar with a lid that seals well and shake. Mix the sliced mango, cucumber, red onion and bell peppers in a large salad bowl. Splash liberally with the lime dressing and toss. We used 3 different colors of bell pepper; red, green and yellow to make it more colorful!
Cutting the Mango
See our step by step guide how to cut a mango quick and easy.
- For this salad you can cut the mango into cubes or slices, we prefer cubes, this is how to easily cube an mango.
- Hold the mango upright and cut the cheeks off by cutting downwards on either side of the pit.
- Cut the flesh inside the skin of each mango cheek into squares.
- Scoop the mango squares out of the skin with a spoon.
See our step by step to cutting a cucumber with different techniques.
Some Favorites in Our Kitchen on Amazon
- Quality Santuko Knife
- Pairing Knife
- Simple Knife Sharpener
- Salad Bowl Set
- Wood Cutting Board Set
- Salad Spinner
Make a Simple Lime and Chilly Vinaigrette Dressing.
Vinaigrette is made by mixing something acidic such as vinegar or lime juice with oil. In this simple vinaigrette salad dressing we mix about 3 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil with the juice of 1 squeezed lime (1 tbsp) and add some salt and crushed red chili peppers. Drizzle over the salad.
Variations in Mango Cucumber Salad
Spiciness – We like adding a little bit of zing to this salad by making it spicy. Cut and crush some red chili peppers. If you add the chili to the dressing and let it marinade a bit it will be more spicy, you can also just sprinkle it over the salad. Control how spicy your salad is by increasing or decreasing the amount of crushed chili pepper used.
Don’t like spicy? just leave out the chili, it still tastes great!
Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar works well in this vinaigrette, it is not very acidic and adds a note of sweetness. It can be replaced with more acidic white vinegar or more neutral rice vinegar.
Cucumber – What kind of cucumber to use? we like to use English cucumbers, the smooth ones wrapped in plastic at the supermarket. Most kinds of cucumber will be fine, English cucumbers have small or no seeds, we like that.
Mango Cucumber Salad
- 200 grams mango diced (2 fruit)
- 200 grams cucumber slices (1 fruit)
- 50 grams red onion chopped (1/2 onion)
- 100 grams 1 bell pepper diced
- 20 ml lime (x1 juiced)
- 15 ml apple cider vinegar (1 tbsp)
- 30 ml olive oil (2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- Slice two mangos into cubes.
- Slice a cucumbers and cut the slices in half.
- Chop up the bell pepper.
- Cut half a red onion into slices.
- Chop up red chilly.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the following dressing ingredients through shaking in a jar with a well sealed lid; lime juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes.
Make the salad
- Add the cucumber, mango and red onion to a large salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with the lime vinaigrette and toss
What did you think of our Mango Cucumber Salad ?
Did you like this recipe? Please let us know, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!