This mouth-watering Keto Smoked Salmon Avocado Salad with soft eggs and a homemade lemon dressing is a light, low carb, high protein side dish that goes perfectly with just about anything, but perfectly compliments seafood.
The dish also stands alone very well! Smoked salmon, soft boiled eggs, avocado, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, capers and some herbs served over a bowl of spinach and arugula makes a flavorful, crispy, light low carb salad that fits in the keto diet.
Looking for a very easy, healthy and low carb recipe? See our Tomato, Feta and Basil salad recipe, with only 3 ingredients it could not be easier, and it is amazing!
How to Make this Keto Friendly Smoked Salmon Salad
Quick and easy. Boil those perfectly jammy eggs. Prepare a bed of soft baby spinach and spicy arugula. Slice the cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Arrange these ingredients together with smoked salmon, capers. Sprinkle with herbs, seasoning and the fresh lemon dressing.
Boiling Jammy Eggs
What are jammy eggs? it is an egg with a texture somewhere between soft and medium. The yolk should not be super runny, but also not set, with a sticky texture similar to jam or marmalade it is still very spoonable. Unlike hard boiled eggs jammy eggs retain a kind of liquid center, keeping them creamy not hard.
How to Make Jammy Eggs
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, lower to a slow simmer.
- Carefully put the eggs in the pot with a spoon.
- Cook for six to six and a half minutes.
- Place in ice water.
- Peel careful (they usually peel easy).
- Cut the avo into cubes or slices, we prefer cubing the avocado, here is how.
- Cut the avocado in two lenghth wise.
- Open the avo by twisting the two halves.
- Remove the pit from the avocado pear..
- Cut the flesh inside the skin into squares.
- Scoop the flesh (squares) out with a spoon.
Favorites Tools in Our Kitchen from Amazon
Variations in Smoked Salmon and Avocado Salad
We like to use arugula and baby spinach to create the base, nice fresh and peppery greens, but you can use lettuce or any other greens, depending on what you prefer and what’s available.
The vegetables in this recipe is simple; only cucumber, cherry tomatoes, capers and avocado. Use your imagination here, bell peppers, red onions, sliced radish work well.
Capers can be replaced with olives.
Play with herbs. The freshness of dill is delicious in this salad, cilantro also is a nice addition.
Add some cheese, the saltiness of feta cheese is great with avo and salmon. Soft goats cheese is also works great.
Turn up the heat! If you like it spicy chop up some jalapenos or use chili olive oil in the dressing.
Is this Smoked Salmon Salad Keto Friendly?
From the nutrition content of this smoked salmon and avocado salad it is clear this recipe creates a high fat, low carb salad that fits the ketogenic diet. Avocados are high in monounsaturated fat, this is known as a “good” fat that helps to lower bad cholesterol. Salmon is also rich in a “good” type of fat, polyunsaturated fat called omega-3 fatty acids that is good for brain function and lowering the risk of heart disease.
What is the keto diet?
The ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrates and high fat diet. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. By replacing carbohydrates with fats your body turns to a metabolic state called ketosis to generate energy.
Serving Size for this recipe
The portion size for this recipe is a healthy portion of smoked salmon avocado salad as a side dish for 4 people as can be seen from the image. The salad was prepared as per recipe to serve 4 without scaling.
Smoked Salmon Avocado and Egg Salad
- 100 grams smoked salmon
- 120 grams avocado (1 medium sized avo)
- 4 boiled eggs
- 100 grams cucumber (1/2 cucumber) sliced
- 150 grams cherry tomatoes (1 cup)
- 60 grams arugula – rocket (2 cups)
- 45 grams baby spinach (2 cups)
- 2 tbsp capers
- 45 ml extra virgin olive oil (3 tbsp)
- 15 ml lemon juice (about ½ medium sized lemon squeezed)
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp dry organum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place eggs in slow boiling water, simmer for 6.5 minutes, remove from the pot and place in ice water, peel eggs and slice in half.
- Prepare bed of arugula and baby spinach in a large salad bowl.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Cut the cucumber into thin slices.
- Slice avocado into cubes or slices.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, organum and parsley to a jar and mix by shaking well
Making the Salad
- Combine the avocado, tomato, cucumber, and capers with the greens in the salad bowl and toss.
- Sprinkle with the lemon dressing.
- Assemble the salad by adding the smoked salmon and eggs.
- Season the eggs with a pinch of salt pepper and some dry parsley.
The nutrition facts provided in the recipe were calculated with an online nutritional calculator and are approximates.
What did you think of our Smoked Salmon Avocado and Egg Salad?
Did you like this recipe? Please let us know, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!